- 1 What snacks are kidney-friendly?
- 2 What fast food can I eat on a renal diet?
- 3 Can kidney patients eat biscuits?
- 4 Can you have popcorn on a renal diet?
- 5 What fruit is good for kidneys?
- 6 What foods help repair kidneys?
- 7 Can I eat pizza on a renal diet?
- 8 Can you eat a hamburger on a renal diet?
- 9 Can I eat Chinese food on renal diet?
- 10 What protein is easiest on kidneys?
- 11 Are potatoes bad for your kidneys?
- 12 Are bananas good for kidneys?
- 13 Can you eat spaghetti on a renal diet?
- 14 Is peanut butter bad for kidneys?
- 15 What can I eat for breakfast with kidney disease?
What snacks are kidney-friendly?
5 Kidney – Friendly Snacks to Keep on Hand
- Fruit: apples, grapes, tangerines or strawberries; dried cranberries or blueberries; or packaged fruit cups with diced peaches, pears, pineapple, mandarin oranges or mixed fruit.
- Package of low- or no-sodium microwave popcorn.
- Low-sodium crackers, pita chips or unsalted pretzels.
What fast food can I eat on a renal diet?
There are many salad bar items that can easily fit into your renal diet. My recommendations:
- McDonald’s: plain hamburger on a bun.
- Burger King: plain hamburger on a bun or BK Broiler, plain.
- Taco Bell: taco, limit the tomatoes.
- Wendy’s: single hamburger or grilled chicken sandwich, plain.
Can kidney patients eat biscuits?
Foods that are high in fat, sugar and salt, such as crisps, chocolate, biscuits and cakes, can be included in your diet. However, because they do not contain good nutrients, they should only be included in small amounts occasionally.
Can you have popcorn on a renal diet?
This popular snack food is a classic! Naturally low in sodium and fat, popcorn is a good kidney diet snack. Do consult your dietitian about which popcorn to chooses, as some come with added salt, cheese, butter or nuts.
What fruit is good for kidneys?
7 Kidney-Friendly Superfoods
- Apples: Apples are a good source of pectin, a soluble fiber that can lower cholesterol and glucose levels.
- Blueberries: Ranked #1 among fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables in antioxidant power, blueberries are a low-calorie source of fiber and Vitamin C.
What foods help repair kidneys?
A DaVita Dietitian’s Top 15 Healthy Foods for People with Kidney Disease
- Red bell peppers. 1/2 cup serving red bell pepper = 1 mg sodium, 88 mg potassium, 10 mg phosphorus.
- Cabbage. 1/2 cup serving green cabbage = 6 mg sodium, 60 mg potassium, 9 mg phosphorus.
Can I eat pizza on a renal diet?
The wide variety of ingredients found in pizza, including the crust and toppings, can be a significant source of phosphorus, potassium, and sodium in the diets of renal patients. Cheese, tomato-based sauces, and vegetable toppings may contribute to life-threatening hyperkalemia.
Can you eat a hamburger on a renal diet?
Lunch and dinner choices for the dialysis diet Remember to order your hamburger with no salt, pickles or grill seasoning, so you can limit sodium and potassium. Also, cheese is limited for those on the dialysis diet.
Can I eat Chinese food on renal diet?
Chinese food is usually low in potassium. Avoid dishes containing mushrooms, nuts, blackbean or satay sauce. Choose plain rice or noodles and avoid adding extra Soy sauce. Avoid Chinese soups.
What protein is easiest on kidneys?
15 Kidney -Friendly Protein Foods for Keeping Albumin Up
- Burgers. Made from turkey or lean beef, both of these protein sources give you iron to help prevent anemia.
- Chicken. Protein from chicken can range from 14 to 28 grams.
- Cottage cheese.
- Deviled eggs.
- Egg omelet.
- Egg whites.
- Greek yogurt.
Are potatoes bad for your kidneys?
Certain high-potassium foods, such as potatoes, can be soaked in water to reduce their potassium content for people on the kidney diet. For years, renal dietitians have instructed patients on low-potassium diets to cut up and leach or soak potatoes to reduce the potassium load.
Are bananas good for kidneys?
Bananas are a rich source of potassium and may need to be limited on a renal diet.
Can you eat spaghetti on a renal diet?
You can use vegetables, grains and pasta as the main dish and small pieces of meat, poultry or fish as the side dish. You can also add low-protein pastas to help keep protein within limits.
Is peanut butter bad for kidneys?
Peanut butter is a high potassium, high phosphorus ingredient but still works in a kidney diet as a substitute for meat. Portion control is important. Additional phosphate binder may be required if eaten as a snack—check with your renal dietitian.
What can I eat for breakfast with kidney disease?
For a change, try hot cereal like oatmeal, cream of wheat, cream of rice, or Malto-meal. Buy the original versions without added salt. Add brown sugar, blueberries, or a scattering of raisins. Southern favorites like corn meal mush and grits, with a dab of butter or honey, make great breakfast cereals too.